No matter what’s going on, we can depend on our weekly Taco Tuesday dinner fixings that appeal to everyone at my dinner table. I change the taco fillings and relishes week to week, but we always enjoy our taco nights served family style so everyone can build their own creations. This recipe combines traditional taco flavorings in a mini meatball form to be enjoyed in a wholesome grain bowl with your favorite Taco Tuesday sides. A simple pomegranate salsa finishes the dish with a pop of fresh flavor and color.
*This is a sponsored post in partnership with Pre. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Do you prepare Taco Tuesday fixings every week? About a year ago, I started meal planning for the week ahead and Taco Tuesday was a natural fit to help cover one night. My kids have always loved rice and beans, cheese and tortillas so I hoped that I could help them try and like new taco-inspired fare while they enjoyed their favorites, too.
(I talk more about why I serve family style meals and how it has helped my picky eaters in this post “5 Mindful Eating Tips for Parents of Picky Eaters.”)
Week to week, I change up the taco fillings and sides. Some of us build tacos in tortillas and some create rice bowls topped with salsas. Sometimes we make sweet potato and veggie fillings and other times fish, shrimp or ground beef.
Over the last last few weeks, I’ve played around with a twist on the traditional ground beef taco filling using the meatball form and it’s been a hit! I bake the meatballs in the oven which saves me one less pan during clean-up (that’s an instant win in my book) and they taste equally delicious hot out of the oven or re-heated as leftovers. For this recipe, I use Pre grass-fed 95% lean ground beef. I usually pick up Pre brand beef at our local grocery store because when we eat meat, I feel good knowing that Pre beef is humanely pasture-raised with no added hormones or antibiotics. It’s packaged in vacuum-sealed packaging that keeps the beef fresh longer than the meat counter options which is key for me because I need a little grace period when I change up our dinner plans last minute.
I was inspired to couple the heat of the mini taco meatballs with a fresh fruit salsa. The pomegranate salsa is a little sweet with a hint of citrus and adds a nice color pop to your grain bowl or taco shell. Pomegranates are also a good source of vitamin C adding a dose of immunity-boosting power.
Here are my recipe prep tips:
- Use a cookie scoop to help make the meatballs uniform. I used a medium scoop (holds about 1.5 Tablespoons) which makes about 20 meatballs.
- To save a little time and mess in the kitchen, check your grocery store for ready-to-eat packages of pomegranate seeds (called Arils) or your freezer section. I’m able to find the seeds at all of the grocery stores I frequent in our area so they aren’t difficult to find!
- For the salsa, you can mute the taste of the raw red onion by placing the chopped red onion in a cup of iced water for about five minutes. Drain well and pat dry before you combine them with the salsa ingredients.
- For serving, I recommend a lime cream made with a quick combination of sour cream or greek yogurt, a squeeze of lime and a bit of lime zest. Drizzle over top or dollop in the center of your bowl with a large spoon.
- The meatballs can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days, at least. To reheat in the microwave, place on a micro-safe dish with a wet paper towel over top. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
These mini taco meatballs are flavorful and super simple to make all in less than 30 minutes. Tell me, what’s on your Taco Tuesday menu tonight? Make sure to save this recipe to try and let me know what you think!
Mini Taco Meatball Bowls with Pomegranate Salsa
- 1 pound Pre 95% lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumps
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3-4 teaspoons Taco seasoning (use based on desired heat)
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1 cup sweet corn
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- lime, juice and zest
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 375°. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray lightly with vegetable cooking oil.
- Combine panko breadcrumbs with milk in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl, mix ground beef and taco seasoning. Add breadcrumb mixture and combine thoroughly.
- Create 20 mini meatballs with your hands or using a cookie scoop. Place on baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- While meatballs bake, combine all ingredients for the pomegranate salsa and set aside. Combine sour cream or Greek yogurt, lime juice and zest for lime cream topping.
- To serve, add meatballs to your favorite cooked rice and top with pomegranate salsa and lime cream.
Leave a Reply