This summer, we gave our backyard 1980’s pool a modern makeover. Our plans involved a total update of the pool area, so we figured our backyard oasis wouldn’t be complete without adding a pool house. So, we added a house that we built (we, as in, Andrew) and decorated ourselves. We’re not design pros over here, but with some creative planning and a “vision,” we love how the project came together.
Our Pool House Vision
Andrew had his eye on pre-fabricated homes by Estonia-based company Palmako. To complement the style of our house, we chose the “Claudia” cabin. This arrived on a flat-bed truck in pieces that Andrew put together like a complicated life-size Lego set. With some help from family, over the course of a few weeks Andrew completed the build. You can see a video of the build progress here on Instagram! To complete the vacation feel of the exterior, we had roofers install a cedar shake roof.
We also knew the pool house space must include:
- Family-friendly decor and furnishings. This is the space we hang with our kids, family and friends throughout a swim-filled day. So, we knew everything had to be wet bathing suit-friendly. The seat cushions, tile flooring and indoor/outdoor rug all add texture and comfort to the space, but are a breeze to wipe down or wash.
- Good vibes only. Our jet-setting days on pause over the last year, our pool house vision was all about creating vacation-like feels. A painted blue ceiling, faux seashell chandelier and an oversized print of Slim Aaron’s Palm Springs “Poolside Gossip” helped us to capture a getaway feel.
- Room for updates. Because we never want a project to be complete, right!? The addition of electrical wiring and an open concept make it possible to install more permanent fixtures and storage spaces down the road like a wet-bar, custom built-ins and a fireplace.
Our Pool House Interior Must-Haves
A pool house featured in House Beautiful by Lindsey Lane Designs (pictured below) became our inspiration guiding light. We modeled so many decor elements of this pool house to help create breezy vibes including:
- a blue painted ceiling
- a fun yet durable tile floor
- blue and white-patterned curtains
- lucite curtain rods with brass details
- rattan furniture with white pillows
- oversized wall art
The Pool House Reveal in Photos
Check out my virtual tour on Instagram Reels here, too!
Our DIY Pool House Decor Finds
Here are some quick links to some of my favorite decor finds for the pool house that are perfect for outdoor and indoor spaces:
White Faux Leather Pouf (Crate & Barrel or Etsy)
Blue and White Porcelain Pot (Amazon)
Faux Fiddle Leaf Fig Plant (Zulily)
Slim Aaron’s “Poolside Gossip” (Getty Images Gallery)
Rattan Bar Cart (Bed Bath & Beyond)
Floral Light Filtering Curtain Panel (Target)
Ombre Indoor/Outdoor Rug (West Elm)
Faux Shell Chandelier (Target)
Pink Permasteel Cooler (Home Depot)
Leave a Reply