Oatmeal is a favorite in my house and that says a lot when you have particular littles eaters who like one thing one day and won’t touch it the next. Luckily, oatmeal is always on my kids’ “like” list which makes this registered dietitian mama very happy.
I make oatmeal all different ways: microwaved, stove-top, make-ahead freezer muffin cups and overnight oats. Of the four, overnight oats is a favorite of mine. They are individually portioned and easy to grab in the morning and eat in the car. With no heating involved, they are also safe for my kids to handle and they love to create their own oatmeal “recipes” with their choice toppings to enjoy the next morning.
I always use the same oatmeal “base” and we vary our mix-in ingredients depending on what’s in season and on-hand in the kitchen. At the moment, that means we’re topping our oats with lots of fresh berries and stone fruits like peaches and nectarines.
Overnight oats is also one of my go-to easy dinner meals. They just need about 5-6 hours in the fridge and they’re ready to enjoy. Add a side of veggies or a fruit/spinach smoothie to complete the meal (whole grains + dairy + fruit – check!) for a totally satisfying and nutrient-packed dinner the kids will love.
Is oatmeal a favorite in your house? How do you make it??
Easy Jam Jar Overnight Oats
Ingredients for one serving
(Prep time: 3 minutes, Fridge Time: 5-6 hours)
About 1/2 cup oats
1/3-1/2 cup milk (use milk of choice)
1/2 small mashed banana
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla or almond extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-2 Tablespoons collagen (an optional protein boost)
Toppings of choice such as:
- fresh fruit ( some of our favorites include blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, pomegranate seeds, banana slices, peaches, apples)
- dried fruit (raisins, cherries, cranberries)
- nuts and seeds (pistachios, walnuts, almonds, pepitas, sunflower seeds, chia seeds) Note: I’d recommend adding nuts right before eating to preserve their crunch.
- honey or maple syrup
- Combine oats with milk in a jam jar or mason jar. Milk should just cover oats. Add mashed banana and stir.
- Add vanilla or almond extract, cinnamon and collagen (an optional protein boost) and stir to combine. Add more milk, if necessary.
- Stir in favorite mixings (see note above regarding nuts).
- Fasten with lid and refrigerate overnight or for 5-6 hours.
- To eat: Remove from fridge, stir and enjoy cold or warm in microwave.